Wednesday, September 12, 2007

felicia remembers 9/11 ... sort of

I know it's late, but it's better than never. I wrote this Monday night for Tuesday's issue of the Spartan Daily:

As the lives of dozens of passengers on American Airlines Flight 11 were coming to an end, my day was just beginning. And while millions of people around the nation watched the coverage of the terrorist attacks, I was getting ready for high school, absolutely oblivious to what was going on in New York City.

It wasn't until almost an hour later, around 6:45 a.m., when I finally heard of the attacks in NYC. "It's just a joke," I told my mom, not believing that a plane would deliberately crash into a huge building.

And two hours later, as my classroom's TV replayed the plane crashes, I was busy drawing pictures and coloring. Although I can't take back my reaction to the attacks, I have vowed to show more respect today, and every future Sept. 11, to the thousands of victims, heroes and soldiers who died in the fight against terrorism.

-After reading all the other editors' experiences, I felt really bad that I didn't even have a reaction. At 14 years old, I didn't even know where the Twin Towers were, let alone what they were. Is that bad? And even if I had no prior knowledge of the two towers that are a symbol of our war, I should have at least felt something for the innocent people who died that day.

felicia

No comments: