Friday, October 19, 2007

in her shoes

I am not one to pass judgment on other people. One can never truly understand what another person feels.
So when my cousin called me last week to tell me about what she's going through, I told her I would help her in any way I could.
I didn't tell her what she should or shouldn't have done, and I didn't tell her what she should or should not do.
I didn't give her my opinion about the situation because I knew she didn't want to hear it.
I figured she just needed support, and I was going to be here to give it to her.
I dropped everything I was doing so I could help her, and I changed all my birthday plans so I could be closer to her in case she needed me.
I let her stay at my apartment for an entire week, and I pampered her probably much more than she needed to be pampered.
I was here for her when she wanted to talk, and I kept her busy when she wanted to keep her mind off the drama.
I didn't share my opinion, and I kept my emotions to myself even though I had every right to feel them.
She was doing something I didn't agree with; she was acting selfish and ungrateful; and she took advantage of my hospitality.
She dragged me into her problems, then expected me to hide my emotions.
While she laid around my apartment, worrying about herself, I was worrying about all the people she was affecting with her selfish decision.
And even though I still don't agree with her decision, actions and attitude, I am still here for her.
I can't let her go through this alone.
I just don't know how I can ever look at her the same way again.
She may be the one who is physically going through the situation, but she dragged me into it with her.
I've been with her since the beginning, and now I'm emotionally tied to her drama.
I may not be in her shoes, but I am closer to her situation than anyone else.
But all she sees is herself.
This is the most difficult situation I have ever been in, and I hope no one ever has to go through it either.
This has been the hardest week of my life.

1 comment:

Mei Fang said...

I find your short sentences style quite effective in this log. The readability is high and the style is candid.

mf